Netanium - Marketing Innovation

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Welcome to Netanium

We'll be discussing innovation marketing in this blog, ranging from strategy issues to examples of excellent (and not so excellent) marketing. Innovation is what fuels the economy, but many great ideas fail -- not because they aren't good ideas, but because they were improperly brought to market. I'm an engineer by training, and truly appreciate innovative technology. I had the great opportunity to work in a variety of new market development and strategic planning positions at large companies and small, where I conceived and developed many of the ideas that have formed the basis of my consulting practice. I believe that marketing is a "lens" that works two ways: first, it makes the capabilities of a company relevant to the market, and second, it finds unmet needs in the marketplace and brings them into the lab. Both roles involve focus. Engineering and marketing people often enjoy an adversarial relationship. Marketing complains that engineering don't understand what people want, and engineering complains that marketing didn't understand how great the technology was. Both of these situations can be improved by getting a better lens and improving focus. We will be looking at examples of strategy and marketing in companies of all sizes and in all industries. Even though my passion is technology, I have enjoyed working with clients in many diverse fields. I firmly believe that there are fundamental lessons in strategy and marketing that apply across the board, without regard to size, offering, or industry. I welcome your comments to my posts, and look forward to a great conversation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home